Published on Wednesday, 10 October 2012 12:30
A newly-built hotel in Nay Pyi Taw (Photo - EMG)
At least 80 new hotels have started construction in Nay Pyi Taw ahead of the SEA Games next year.
The 27th SEA Games will be hosted by Myanmar in Nay Pyi Taw, Yangon, Mandalay and Ngwesaung beach from December 11-22, 2013. About 5,000 athletes from 11 countries are expected to participate.
“Three hundred forty-eight hotels are being constructed,” said an official from the Ministry of Hotel and Tourism, adding that 442 more inns are planned. “More rooms are needed. If construction of the hotels is finished on time, it will be enough to cover the demand.”
A hotel staff, however, said business is slow during off-season and the industry depends on fairs organized by the government.
Tourism Latest News
- Hotels to charge current prices for SEA Games
- Tourism master plan predicts 1.5 million jobs in seven years
- Tourists asked to respect rules when visiting heritage sites
- Myawady border bridge to extend opening hours
- Historic U Bein Bridge in Mandalay in a ruinous state
- Disappointment, complaints mar popular festival
- Hotels nearly overbooked as tourists flock to Bagan
- Thai celebrities to visit Myanmar for pre-SEA Games activity
- Tourist arrivals increase by 83 percent in three years
- Mount Zwekabin attracts more foreign tourists