Published on Sunday, 09 June 2013 10:43
The Rakhine League for Democracy (RLD) and the Rakhine Nationalities Development Party (RNDP) will meet on the 15th of June at the Rakhine Thahaya Association in Yangon to discuss merging into a single political party.
The move was announced after the RNDP annual meeting held at the end of May. "The plan of joining the two major parties into one is a first step in building trust and laying down the basic principles for future works," said Dr. Aye Maung, the chairman of the RNDP.
On the 3rd of June the RNDP sent a letter to the RLD regarding discussions on the possibility of joining the two parties aimed at the emergence of a larger party.
"Dignitaries from Rakhine Thahaya Association, Rakhine Literature and Culture Association and other Rakhine networks as well as Buddhist monks will be attending the meeting," said Dr. Maung.
"We have heard of the by-elections in November. We don’t want to be in competition between our parties. We are willing to merge our two major parties into a larger one before the by-elections," said the RNDP chairman.
The five-member delegation led by Dr. Aye Maung from the RNDP and five top leaders of the RLD will hold a meeting at Rakhine Thahaya Association in Yangon on the 15th of June.
Regarding the merging of the two parties, Aye Tha Aung, chairman of the RLD said that they would have to select suitable persons after their meeting and that a merger was of great importance to both parties.
Politics Latest News
- President Thein Sein returns Union Parliament Bill
- Suu Kyi says peaceful discussions key to reforms
- RPPSC urges government to rehabilitate political prisoners
- U.N. to discuss child soldiers with ethnic armed groups
- Parliament receives suggestions on amending presidential qualifications
- Turning a blind eye for amending of Constitution may be a crime - Union Assembly Speaker
- Conflicts could escalate into sexual violence: Suu Kyi
- Suu Kyi to attend global health summit in Qatar
- Chin ethnics flee Myanmar en masse to avoid human rights abuse, political insecurity
- Myanmar to establish work committee for emergence of all-inclusive union conference