Published on Friday, 09 November 2012 17:42
President seen in the 9th Aisa-Europe Summit in Laos
President Thein Sein attended the 9th Asia-Europe Meeting Summit held at National Convention Centre Champi Grand Hall in Lao People's Democratic Republic on November 6.
Leaders of Asia and Europe placed emphasis on regional and international affairs, mutually beneficial cooperation, food ration, energy sufficiency, sustainable development, financial and economic crisis, climate change and future prospects of the summit.
The summit's motto of this year is "Friends for Peace, Partners for Prosperity". Established in 1996, ASEM has now 49 member countries.
During his stay in Laos, the President held meetings with government heads from Finland, Luxemburg and Australia.
In his meeting with Finland Prime Minister Jyrki Katainen, the President discussed matters relating to Myanmar’s ongoing reform process, possible investment from Finland, capital and technical assistance necessary for economic development, establishment of factories and industries to help job employment in Myanmar, manufacturing of value-added products, generation of oil and gas including natural resources, technical cooperation and assistance for the development of education sector in Myanmar, emergence of peaceful and independent society and total clearance of remaining sanctions imposed by the European Union (EU).
In his meeting with Luxemburg Prime Minister Jean-Claude Juncker, the President discussed tourism cooperation, effective exploitation of human resources and mineral resources, inviting economists from Luxemburg and investment, avoiding tariff between the two countries, GSP status to be granted to Myanmar and multi-sector cooperation.
In his meeting with Australian Prime Minister Julia Gillard, the President discussed promulgation of Foreign Investment Law, bilateral trade and, economic cooperation, investment for mines and energy sectors, generation of increased electricity including solar energy, technology to be provided to produce value-added agricultural productes for the rural development, communication technology to cover rural areas, efficiency training and workshop to be conducted to staff, and ASEAN Summit to be hosted by Myanmar in 2014 and the summit to mark the 40th anniversary of the ASEAN-Australia relations.
Politics Latest News
- More political prisoners in Myanmar these days: political analysts
- Myanmar MP's propose to abolish Section 18
- Suu Kyi discusses peace, federal, drugs issues with Shan leaders
- State security guards should be formed if 2008 Constitution amended: Shan says
- Kachin Parliament calls for public engagement in peace talks
- Workshop on 2008 Constitution amendment to be held
- Now is opportune moment for foreign investors: President
- Parliament to raise issue of Myanmar migrant workers in Malaysia if delegation’s tasks incomplete: MP
- Ruling party says ‘coalition govt’ with Suu Kyi-led NLD is likely
- Myanmar religious violence for political gain: Experts