Military and Police Forces patrol near border fences in Rakhine State

Than Hlaing
Caption; The combined patrol team of Military and Police Force making rounds in Sittwe, Rakhine State on August 15.

As the news of terrorists groups allegedly conducting military training and getting nearer to the border fences in Rakhine State, a combined team of Military and Police Force conduct patrols in Rakhine State.

On August 15 evening, Military and Police Force together patrolled Sittwe based on the intelligence they had gathered. About 300 members from both Military and Police Force conducted security rounds by utilizing more than 20 vehicles.

Concerning the security measures and patrol in Sittwe, a spokesman from Rakhine State Police Force said, “We received the information of terrorists conducting military training and exercises and in the near vicinity of the border fences. The information we received is still being tentatively confirmed and investigated into but August 22 is the Eid festival. There are rumors that something will happen on that day. Besides, August 25 is the anniversary of the attacks carried out by ARSA towards the 30 police outposts. There may be bomb blasts around August 25 date. That’s why we are carrying out joint patrols in the area. For the safety of the people, we are also patrolling in cities. We are, therefore, patrolling in the border of Butheetaung and Maungdaw Townships.”

In the joint patrol, a high ranking military officer and senior officers from police force were included, possibly to quicken the issue of certain orders that would usually require clearance from above, according to Rakhine State Police Force.

Residents from northern Maungdaw Township and Rakhine people have expressed being anxious about their safety.

On August 25  night in 2017, at least 30 border police outposts in western Myanmar were attacked by a group of Islamist terrorists resulting in the killing of 59 militants and 12 members of the security forces, said  the army and government sources.

The attacks were carried out simultaneously by the group between the midnight of 24 August and the morning hours of the next day.

In Maungdaw township, 26 outposts at Net Chaung, Taman Thar, Kunthee Pin Chaungwa, Nantar Taung, Nantar Taung Chaung wa, Me Dike, Kyi Kyunt, Pru Ma, Maungka Mong,  Zipin chaungwa, Longdon, Theho Kyan, Zinpy Nyar, Thaye konbong, Pa Naung Pin Gyi, Shwe Yin Aye, Myint Laut, Alay Thankyaw, U Daung and Thinbaw Kuae faced the attacks.