Published on Sunday, 25 August 2013 02:33
Around 1,000 people set buildings on fire in a village in Sagaing Region last night after rumor spread of an attempted rape against a nineteen year old girl by a young Muslim man.
Residents from villages in Htankone administrative unit in Sagaing region gathered in front of the local police station and demanded the culprit to be turned over.
The mob started setting buildings on fire in Htankone Village around 9 pm and seven shops and around 15 houses have been destroyed.
Around fifty policemen have been trying to control the situation and the Minister of Border and Security of the Sagaing regional government has also arrived at the village. Fire trucks from nearby townships have also arrived to extinguish the fire, according to the reporter from the Daily Eleven who has arrived at Htankone Village.
"I didn't see any head on between the two groups, but the fire that has been blazing since 9 pm still has not been extinguished yet. I learnt that the person who attempted rape has now arrived at Kantbalu Police Station. The local residents are worried about riots as there are many Muslims in Kanbalu area. I still don't know the details," the reporter said around midnight yesterday.
According to update news, the fire is still blazing around 1 am this morning and the authorities are still trying to control the situation.
National Latest News
- Myanmar must eradicate cultural barriers to empower women
- Tropical cyclone Madi likely to enter Myanmar
- Migyaungkan protesters meet with Yangon officials
- War victims in Kachin State face human rights abuses
- President’s Office suspends Botahtaung project
- Myanmar must eradicate cultural barriers to empower women - IMF
- Myanmar expand HIV treatment to 85% of patients by 2016
- IMF to provide financial techniques to Myanmar
- France to partner in Myanmar Journalism School
- China has not issued formal complaint over flag-burning incident