Border trade value totalled over $3.399 billion until September 22

Writer: 
Myat Su Naing
The Mae Sot-Myawady border trade route (Photo-Ko Shwe Thein)

 

Border trade values ending on September 22 this fiscal year have reached over US$3.399 billion (4.629 trillion kyat), but the amount has fallen by over $8 million compared to the same period of last year, according to trade data from the Ministry of Commerce.

To engage in border trade, Myanmar has opened Muse, Lwejal, Chinshwehaw and Kanpaiktee trade camps on the border with China; Tachilek, Kengtung, Myawady, Kawthoung, Myeik, Nabule/Htikhi and Mawtaung trade camps on the border with Thailand; Sittway and Maungdaw trade camps on the border with Bangladesh; and Tamu and Reed trade camps on the border with India.

Among them, Muse trade camp has the largest trade volume with the largest export of agricultural products from Myanmar.

From April 1 to September 22, trade values totalled almost $2.35 billion at Muse, $257.5 million at Chinshwehaw, $93.7 million at Lwejal and $407.2 million at Myawady.

Some 80 per cent of foreign trade involving Myanmar passes through maritime routes, with the remaining 20 per cent through land borders.

Exports exceed imports in border trade